The CMI 25, MeetingsNet's list of the top independent meeting planning companies, is a resource for organizations looking for an experienced partner for conferences, incentives, trainings, and other corporate meetings.
American Express Meetings & Events, a division of American Express Global Business
New York, N.Y.
In-person corporate meetings: 13,310
# with a hybrid component: 377
Stand-alone virtual events: 2,048
Incentive travel programs: 8
Room-nights booked for meetings and incentives: 564,720
• American Express Meetings & Events has expanded its Meetings Marketplace with solutions and partners for virtual and hybrid meetings, small and simple meetings, attendee registration, ground transportation, and more. A notable addition is the partnership with Bizzabo, which offers an e-mail marketing platform, speaker portals, one-on-one networking, a video-production suite, mobile applications, and other services.
• Amex GBT has created a new vice president, sustainability role, to drive green initiatives and support sustainability targets—including carbon neutrality by 2025.
• In March 2021, Amex GBT launched Workspaces, a booking service for small meeting rooms, coworking spaces, and converted hotel guest rooms to use as work and collaboration spaces.
• Also in 2021, Amex GBT launched Meetings Central, an end-to-end solution that guides project managers through all stages of event management to increase efficiency, eliminate duplicate work, and provide better service through standardized regional and global processes.
• In June 2022, the Business Travel Awards shortlisted Amex GBT in the Technology Innovation–Meetings & Events category for its Meeting Central solution. The company is also on the shortlist for Travel Partner of the Year–Meetings & Events Solution.
• In 2021, Amex GBT acquired Ovation Travel Group and digital travel-management platform Egencia. On May 31, 2022, the company began trading as a public company on the New York Stock Exchange.
Gerardo Tejado, Senior Vice President, Global Value Development and General Manager of Meetings & Events
Paul Abbott, CEO, American Express Global Business Travel
Andrew Crawley, Chief Commercial Officer, American Express Global Business Travel
Full-time employees in North America (May 2022): 407
Meetings and incentive travel programs held outside the U.S.: 80%
Revenue from planning meetings and incentives: NA
Revenue from planning virtual meetings: NA
The biggest challenge to producing meetings and incentives over the next year is likely to be…
“Face-to-face meetings are more widely recognized as vital for dispersed workforces to strengthen company culture, employee wellness, and professional development. The biggest opportunity over the next year will be managing growth and compressed lead times while delivering on meeting objectives. It’s a great time to be in the meetings and events industry.”
—Gerardo Tejado, Senior Vice President, Global Value Development and General Manager of Meetings & Events
Meetings and Events Research & Insights
Back to the full 2022 CMI 25 list.