The Events Industry Council announced on August 14 that it’s creating two new awards to honor individuals who contribute to the industry in a given year, in two topical and important areas:
• The EIC Adaptation and Innovation Award for leading in times of crisis by driving key support programs and offering transformational leadership to address the impact of the COVID-19 health crisis on the global events industry.
• The EIC Social Impact Award for leading in diversity, inclusion, equity, and accessibility by driving key support programs and adaptations for these issues within the events industry.
“These new global awards are a reflection of the extraordinary dedication and effort that we are seeing through this time,” said Paul Van Deventer, EIC board chair and president and CEO of Meeting Professionals International. “Individuals, companies, and associations are positively impacting our industry and our world, and we look forward to recognizing and celebrating them and their contributions.”
Moreover, the EIC expanded its Hall of Leaders criteria to recognize lifetime achievement by those deemed outstanding in the areas of social impact or adaptation/innovation in advancing the events industry through:
• Innovation that shapes the events industry
• Influence that has affected the entire industry
• Lasting value of their work, which may include significant leadership roles as well as development of original ideas or techniques in products, services, or training used by the industry
• Altruism through charitable efforts aimed at their communities and the welfare of others
“Honoring individuals and organizations that have offered a lasting impact on our industry is essential,” said Cathy Breden, CMP, CAE, CEM, chair of the Hall of Leaders Task Force and executive vice president and COO for the International Association of Exhibitions and Events. “Recognizing their contributions provides inspiration for all of us and creates a pathway for emerging leaders and future contributions.”
Nominees need not be members of EIC’s member organizations, and candidates may be nominated posthumously. Nominations must be submitted through EIC's online portal and must be complete by 11:59 p.m. ET on Thursday, October 1. EIC will announce the honorees in November.